Managing Heart Failure
If you have heart failure, your treatment plan will probably include taking medication and making some lifestyle changes. Following your care team’s treatment plan can make a big difference in the way you feel every day.
- Make sure to take your medications as your care team has instructed. You may have several medications, so it’s a good idea to have a way to keep track of when to take them.
- Weigh yourself every day.
- Keep track of your other symptoms, and tell your care team if you have new or worsening symptoms.
- Being physically active is important when you have heart failure. If you’re not sure what kind of exercise to do, talk to your doctor about a hospital rehabilitation program.
- Eat less sodium.
- Some other things that can help you feel a lot better are quitting smoking, limiting or avoiding alcohol, and managing stress through activities like yoga and meditation.
Seeing your doctor regularly can also help you manage your condition. The more information your doctor has, the better they can help you have a full and active life with your condition.